Size of an image is very important to catch a large number of audience. Images play a game-changing role to optimize your posts on social media and drive engagement. Recently, I searched and found many tools to create best post image sizes for social media. But most of the tools I found was paid and highly expensive.
A lot of my friends keep asking me that what should be the best photo image sizes for post, page, profile and Ads on social media especially Facebook.
It is OK to use any size images if you are on social media just for the entertainment. But if you are an online marketer, then there are a lot of things that you have to look while creating social media images. Today, I’m gonna tell you about the ideal post image sizes for social media.
Facebook Post Sizes Cheat Sheet:
Size, shape, height, width and orientation are the most influential factors to keep in mind while creating the best post image sizes on Facebook. Ideal post image sizes for social media is a huge topic and we need a lot of time to cover it. That’s why I’ll be trying to finish it in short.
We need different image sizes for different places on Facebook like post image size, page image size, profile image size and FB ads sizes. I dive in the depth of this topic and finally able to discover best photo image sizes for your Facebook.
1) Ideal Post Image Size:
There are different recommended Facebook post image sizes that I discovered for different orientations. The size I will recommend for an ideal post image size is 1024px x 512px. It will appear with the minimum width of 470 pixels. This size is optimal and can catch 150% more audience as compared to other sizes. Below are the few best post image sizes for different orientations.
- For square images, use the size 800 x 800 and it will appear with the width of 476 pixels.
- If you want to upload a vertical image then It 512 x 1024 pixels is the best size for it. It will be scaled to 476 x 714 after uploading.
2) Page Image Size:
If you are having a Facebook page then measurements are bit different from the normal post image sizes. The Facebook pages layout is a bit wider as compared to your profile layout. The scaled size of a high-quality image on a Facebook page is 484 pixels. Initially, it was only 377px but then they increased it to 484px. Below are the few best-recommended sizes for your Facebook pages.
- If you are uploading a link post(your website post), then always choose the 1200 x 600px image and it will have appeared as 484 x 252px.
- For simple image post, you can go with 1200 x 1200px and it will be scaled as 504px wide and height accordingly.
3) Profile Picture Image Size:
The profile picture of your Facebook account displayed at the left bottom side of your cover photo. It will be seen by the visitors in suggestions, friends list and newsfeed too. The most recommended size to display your complete image on the Facebook profile is 180 x 180 pixels. However, you can also upload the 2x size to get the better quality even after compressing.
- The minimum size 180 x 180 will appear as 160 x 160 pixels on your profile and both pages. So I will recommend you to use 2x size.
- As a thumbnail, It will appear as 32 x 32 pixels.
4) Facebook Ads:
For business owners, it is very important to use best post image sizes for their advertisements and promotions. Most of the people prefer to advertise on Facebook. But due to the wrong image sizes, they don’t get a better conversion result. There are the different types of ads that people run mostly; Image ads, video ads and links.
- The size for a single image ad should be about 1,200 x 628 pixels with the ratio of 1.91:1. If you are looking to promote your page then use the image of size 1,200 x 444 pixels. It can catch up a large number of audience.
- If you are planning to run a video promotion then 504 x 283px is the best size. You can use the 1,200 x 675 pixels size for video thumbnail.
- Facebook recently introduced carousel-type posts for advertisements. 1,080 x 1,080 pixels is the recommended size for it. Facebook will automatically convert it to 300 x 300 pixels.
|Post Types||Recommended Image Size|
|Clicks to webites||1200 x 628 pixels|
|Website conversions||1200 x 628 pixels|
|Page post engagement||1200 x 900 pixels|
|Page likes||1200 x 444 pixels|
|Video views||1200 x 675 pixels|
|App installs||1200 x 628 pixels|
5) Facebook Shared Link Images:
I already mentioned about the links above. Just like the above cases, optimal and recommended size for link images is also 1,200 x 627 pixels. The link you submit to Facebook shows its image in different ways. It depends on the actual image size that you uploaded in the post.
- If you upload a 1,200 x 627 px images, It will be scaled to 476 x 249 pixels.
- If your uploaded photo is less than 1,200 x 627 pixels than it will be displayed as 154 x 154 pixels in news feed.
Best Post Image Sizes for Google+:
Google plus is yet another popular social media site with millions of users. It is one of the best places for advertisements and catching some handsome audience. The image you upload to Google+ will appear in the feed with the minimum width of 431 pixels. However below are the few recommended sizes for Google+ that will give you the high-quality results.
- The most preferred size for Google+ profile image is 270 x 270 pixels. If you upload a larger image then it will be cropped automatically from each side.
- For sharing images 2048 x 2048 pixels is the best side and it will be displayed as 497 x 279 pixels. However, you can click on the image to see the original size.
- Google+ automatically measures the size of 150 x 150 pixels of link sharing.
Ideal image sizes for tweets:
Twitter has changed its look some time ago and it is available for every new and old profile now. They have increased the size of the image and now they images appeared are less cropped & appears bigger. Below are the best post image sizes for Twitter.
- For single sharing image of Twitter, If you choose the 800 x 800px size, It will be automatically scaled to 506 x 506px. But the ideal and optimal size for an image with a tweet is 590 x 295px. On a smartphone, images will be automatically cropped by 1024 pixels wide.
- The recommended upload size for the profile image is 400 x 400px but you can also upload the 2x size to get the better result. When you click on the image, it will pop up in the size of 450 x 450px.
- For Twitter cards, the image must be 144 x 144px in size.
Best Image Sizes for Instagram:
Initially, Instagram used to show all the images in the square style. But now you can upload them in different orients.
- Always upload 110 x 100px size image for your profile.
- 1080 x 1080 pixels is the most recommended size for uploading square images on Instagram.
- You can upload 2048px x 2048px for lightbox on Istagram and It will be displayed as 612px x 612px.
|Social Media||Image Type||Ideal size||Min Size||Max Size|
|Profile image||180 x 180 pixels||160 x 160 pixels||200 x 200 pixels|
|Page image||160 x 160 pixels||150 x 150 pixels||180 x 180 pixels|
|Post image||1024 x 512 pixels||800 x 800 pixels||1,200 x 630 pixels|
|Shared link image||1200 x 627 pixels||497 x 279 pixels||1200 x 627 pixels|
|Ad image||1200 x 444 pixels||300 x 300 pixels||1200 x 627 pixels|
|Video thumbnail||500 x 252 pixels||185 x 104 pixels||1200 x 717 pixels|
|Google Plus||Profile image||250 x 250 pixels||240 x 240 pixels||270 x 270 pixels|
|Post image||497 x 343 pixels||300 x 300 pixels||248 x 248 pixels|
|Shared link image||431 x 400 pixels||150 x 150 pixels||800 x 420 pixels|
|Video thumbnail||497 x 279 pixels||180 x 180 pixels||2048 x 2048 pixels|
|Profile image||400 x 400 pixels||300 x 300 pixels||450 x 450 pixels|
|Post image||800 x 800 pixels||590 x 295 pixels||1024 x 576 pixels|
|Shared link image||125 x 125 pixels||60 x 60 pixels||300 x 157 pixels|
|Video thumbnail||600 x 400 pixels||497 x 279 pixels||1024 x 576 pixels|
|Profile image||110 x 110 pixels||90 x 90 pixels||120 x 120 pixels|
|Post image||1080 x 1080 pixels||161 x 161 pixels||2048 x 2048 pixels|
|Video thumbnail||600 x 600 pixels||497 x 279 pixels||1080 x 1080 pixels|